Monday, November 4, 2013

Thanksgiving - My way

Most years, each day, I update my Facebook status every day during the month of November to give thanks.  I generally name all of the usual things that everyone else does. I'm thankful for healthy, happy kids. I'm thankful for my job, and my parents, and the roof over my head. In no way do I want to devalue those things with this post.

This month, though, this year, I am thankful for a whole host of new things that deserve an entire post. Hell, in my opinion, they deserve a parade and a twitter account. But this will have to suffice.

First of all - I am thankful to me.

I am thankful that I never settled. I am thankful for my instincts - the ones I trusted even when my mom or my friends said, "But he's so great for you! Give him a chance! Stop being so picky!" I knew that if I just waited long enough and stood my ground that something magical would happen. I just KNEW.

I am thankful for every single time I was belittled, or criticized, because it made me appreciate it so very much when I finally met someone who builds me up and never lets me get away with kicking my own ass.

I am thankful for every night I spent alone, reflecting on my past and considering how to shape my future.    Analyzing my actions and knowing how to do it better next time. 

I am thankful for every sappy love song and romantic movie that made me cry. They reminded me that I am not, in fact, dead inside, and that on some level - even after all of the breakups and crying and lamenting and studying - that I still believed enough in true love to keep putting myself out there.

I'm thankful for the handful - and I do mean, it is a SELECT FEW - of men in my life who have shown me that it is possible for a man to remain faithful. My grandad. My uncle Skitch. My cousin Jason. My friend Jeff.  My own son, Brendan.   I will never complain about being an attractive person - not to toot my own horn, because you guys know I'm not that girl. But being attractive - and especially being attractive and single - will open doors for you that are truly best left closed. I never realized how few people - men AND women -   apparently struggle with fidelity.  It is appalling to me, the number of propositions I have received from married, or otherwise coupled-up, men. APPALLING. Some think that because we are friends that I will take it as a compliment, I guess. Maybe they think that I will be so flattered by the attention that I will overlook the fact that they are offering me absolutely nothing in exchange for something.  In any case, I am thankful for those few who have upheld that oh-so-high standard of fidelity because without them, I would never trust ANYONE. I don't trust many. But at least I know that I can trust some.  One.  And at the end of the day, he's the only one that matters anyway.

I am thankful for the firsts that I still have left.  In the past, marriage was always about convenience, and logical deductions, and expectations. Six years later, I have learned some things. I don't know if I'll get married again or not. I like to think so. But I do know that if and when I do, that it will be for the right reasons, in the right way, at the right time. It won't be because I need a breadwinner. It won't be because the stick was blue. It damn sure won't be because it's either that or break up.

If there's anything I've learned about love it's that it has nothing to do with me. True love isn't about what I'm getting. It's about how much I want to give.  It's not about finding someone who can fulfill me or meet my needs. It's about finding someone whose smile makes the world make sense, and knowing that I will do anything and everything to keep that smile in place. Happily. Selflessly.  I wasn't sure that sort of thing existed. Truthfully, I just wasn't convinced that it would ever exist for me - that I'd been too hurt and was way too jaded. But still I hoped anyway.

Mostly I am thankful that I never gave up hope, when my situational cynicism tried to trump my natural optimism.

I am thankful that loving someone does come naturally to me after all, when it's given so freely to me in return.

It's much too soon to reveal more than that. I could write pages about this. About all the new feelings, and firsts and lasts.  I'm pretty sure I could write a novella just about his music.  And maybe I will write about it all one day.

Right now I am too busy living it. And being so very thankful.

3 comments:

  1. You, Fawn... You rock the Casbah.

    The end.

    ---Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I really needed to read this encouragement. I can relate to you on every point made. There's hope for me yet. I'll keep on waiting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I really needed to read this encouragement. I can relate to you on every point made. There's hope for me yet. I'll keep on waiting. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Or not. Whatevs, I'm just happy you're here.